7.25.2009

Brian, U2, and being Irish.

Like most children of the ‘80’s, Brian and I felt it was our patriotic duty to watch as much MTV as possible. Given our Irish heritage – and the fact they were (are) an excellent band – U2 quickly became one of our favorites.

Brain and l would often discuss how “old U2” was the best and their newer stuff was "just OK."

These are his exact words because he repeated them often:

"I liked them better when they were young punks who were pissed off at the British."

What a typical “Brian” quote! It also personified him: brash, off the wall, politically incorrect, and amazingly accurate.

This story reminded me of an email Brian sent to us in 2007. I found it a few months ago and sent it to Susan and my parents. It was titled “gotta love the Irish!” and it brought a smile to my face.

“Bono is at a U2 concert in Ireland when he asks the audience for some quiet. Then in the silence, he starts to slowly clap his hands.

Holding the audience in total silence, he says into the microphone...."Every time I clap my hands, a child in Africa dies."

A voice from near the front of the audience pierces the silence and says for all to hear...."Fookin’ stop doing it then!"

Gotta love the Irish!

No comments:

Post a Comment