10.09.2009

A year and half and the Nobel Peace Prize

Today it has been 18 months since we found Brian. Still does not seem real and it feels like a bad dream. I really want a "do over."

Susan and I were talking about Brian last night and discussed how we would love to have just five minutes more with him. We talked about all the crazy things he pulled off and how humor was such a big part of his personality. Making people laugh was clearly one of Brian's gifts.

Today, the Nobel Peace Prize went to our President Barack Obama. I wondered how Brian would react. Most know Brian was a world traveler and a staunch conservative. He did not care for Obama or his policies.

Back in 1990, my parents took us to Ireland, London, and France for their 25th wedding anniversary. During a bus tour of London we saw some graffiti spray painted on monument in Trafalgar square. It was simple and elegant in its message. It said: "I hate Norwegians". Brian and I howled with laughter and loved it. We wondered “what has Norway ever done to make people hate them?”

Today, Brian would not be happy about the Nobel Prize. He would tell anyone with a cell phone about this injustice and how "he hated the Norwegians".

Then, either my Dad or I would tell him the Nobel Prize is from Sweden. After a couple of seconds of silence, Brian would then say "well, you know what I meant. I guess I now hate the Swedes too."

Miss you Brian and know you are always with us.

Love, your brother.

* Note: The Swedes handle four prizes while Norway picks the peace prize. Technically, Brian would have been correct. But, it does not help my punch line so it stays as is.

No comments:

Post a Comment