7.23.2010

The Waterfront


My parents came to visit last week and the conversation turned to good food and even better restaurants, which reminded my mother of the time they visited Cincinnati (after we had graduated XU around '98 or '99) and treated Brian and I to a big dinner at The Waterfront. We went a bit too crazy on the raw bar order and my father wasn't too pleased when the bill came, but it was a fun experience for all of us.

The Waterfront was special to Brian and I because we both had worked there, me for a year and a half during college and Brian for a summer in '96. Working with Brian was the absolute best and we ran that place like we owned it. The kitchen staff loved us and they'd always share their "mistakes" so we'd be consistently chowing down on the best 12 oz. filets, 16 oz NY Strips, fresh water lobster tails, and our favorite "Freddie" salads. I remember more than one time our manager catching us with stuffed mouths during our shifts, but we were good at our jobs and always brought the laughs so they pretty much overlooked it. Plus, no one in their right minds could turn down a Collinsworth Steak Oscar from The Waterfront!

That summer I put a vacation request in the shift book and called my week vacation a "sabbatical" thinking it was just a fancier word for vacation. While I was away Brian told everyone I was extremely holy and my vacation was actually a religious retreat, but I was too embarrassed just to say it! When I got returned to work everyone on staff treated me differently and made faces when I would share my usual obnoxious stories and jokes. This went on for a solid week until Brian finally broke down laughing until he cried!

1 comment:

  1. Great post Craig! It made me laugh at loud. I miss Brian laughing so much he cried. He would frequently break down into a coughing fit and say “Tito, get me a tissue.” Brian loved working there and told me how he would “dazzle people with the crouper” (the thing that sweeps off the bread crumbs). He said “people would like it. I would give away a 75 cent piece of tin and get a nice tip.” Brian also was ULTRA sensitive to any wait person. Even if they got the order wrong, were late, or did something to irritate me. Brian would always say “everything is great” and absurdly over tip.

    ReplyDelete