12.23.2008

The Legend of Beerwolf


























I'm not sure how many of you are familiar with the legend of Beerwolf, but for those of you who are I figured you might like to know that Beerwolf is alive and well, hidden in a secluded location in the mountains of East Tennessee. I first learned of Beerwolf from Brian many years ago. I'm not 100% positive about the true story behind the Beerwolf legend, but from what I do know it goes something like this....

Beerwolf was a prominent figure at a bar near Miami University. From what I recall, this was a bar that was frequented by the university's rugby team; the rivals of the nearby Xavier University. As many of you know, both Matt and Brian were members of the Xavier Rugby team and at some point during one of their tenures there they were a part of a grand scheme to snatch Beerwolf from this Miami bar and to take him back to Xavier. I am not aware of the circumstances that led to Beerwolf's capture, but I do know that he was eventually removed from his stand by sawing through his legs just above the ankles and then taken from the bar. From what I was told, Beerwolf was then transferred amongst various Xavier rugby players over the years and that the whereabouts of Beerwolf became something of a holy grail for those who knew of his lore.

Several years ago Brian asked me and my brother Justin to take Beerwolf with us down to TN. Brian had finally succeeded in kidnapping Beerwolf from an unsuspecting friend and he wanted us to take him away before someone came and snatched him away from him. Justin and I agreed and for several years now Beerwolf has lived with us in TN; first in Justin's apartment, then at my house where he now serves as the resident scarecrow for my garden.

Brian's life was filled with crazy stories like the story of Beerwolf. Many of his stories I heard second-hand, and many others I was able to experience with him. He lived such an incredible life and I'm so proud to call him my cousin...and my friend. Every time I walk past the garden or drive down my driveway and see Beerwolf out there looking over the place I can't help but stop and laugh as I think about what a great life Brian lived and how lucky I was to be a part of it. Thank you Brian...

Matt, or anyone else intimately familiar with the Beerwolf Affair, feel free to correct my story or add any comments.

3 comments:

  1. Can you imagine the logic behind bringing a hacksaw into a bar? How did they saw his legs without anyone knowing? Then, how did they get Beerwolf out of the bar? Lastly, how did they get it back to Xavier? Brian always enjoyed doing the impossible and loved stealing Beerwolf whenever he could.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beerwolf lives! Hearing that story again brought a big smile to my face. Thank you, Craig

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beerwolf lived at my house on Dana my junior year for about 2 weeks until, during a very crazy night, it was stolen at like 4 in the morning. I had two finals the next day and was in my room studying when all of the sudden, I hear a huge crash outside. It turns out two cars full of drunk students were racing down Dana when one lost control and ended up on my front yard about 10 feet from coming into my room. They had to use the jaws of life to get one of them out although they all walked away mostly unharmed. Libs and Lawson were down the street and came to drink beer on my front porch and watch the event unfold. I went back to study. When I woke up on the morning, beerwolf was gone and Libs and Lawson didn't know what happened to it.

    ReplyDelete