5.02.2009

The Claddagh Ring

Susan and I gave Brian a Claddagh ring when he was our best man. It is an Irish ring that symbolizes love, friendship, and loyalty. Brian wore it always and said it was his “most prized possession.” After April ninth, I began wearing his ring. It was a little bit large on me and I kept putting off getting it resized.

Almost a year ago to today, we went to Patrick’s soccer game in Springdale. I looked at my finger around half time and was immediately hit with a wave of sickening dread for Brian’s ring was no longer on my finger. I frantically retraced my steps. Everyone near me pitched in and looked. I went back and forth to every single spot hoping the ring would magically reappear. My dad and I even went to Radio Shack and bought the last metal detector in Cincinnati. I could not find it and gave up after several hours. I felt terrible and was furious at myself.

I prayed for Brian’s help at church the next day. Unfortunately, I still could not find it after searching again. As many of you know, Susan and Brian had a great relationship. Brian called Susan his sister and loved her dearly. They also had an “alliance.” This alliance was against me! Susan also has slightly more patience than I. Susan asked if she could look for the ring. I said sure and hoped she would be successful.

Susan went to the park and searched and searched. She was not using the metal detector and kept saying “c’mon Brian, c’mon Brian.” After about 45 minutes of retracing my steps she was talking with our good friend and neighbor Jenny on the phone. She was close to giving up. Then, suddenly, she saw a slight metallic glimmer out of the corner of her eye. Susan could not believe her luck when she bent down and found Brian’s ring in a patch of grass four inches deep! We had all checked this spot many, many times but always missed it. Susan screamed with joy into the phone and repeatedly yelled “I found it! I found it! I found it!” Some guy near the park yelled at her to “shut up” but she did not care!

Susan found the quarter sized ring – without a metal detector – in a grassy four acre field that badly needed mowed. What are the odds? Talk about finding a needle in a haystack! I was stunned speechless when I saw the ring and cried with joy when Susan told me how she found Brian’s Claddagh. Needless to say, the ring got resized the next day and I have proudly worn it since.

We are convinced Brian helped Susan find the ring. Thank you Brian!
Love, friendship, and loyalty, indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment