12.20.2009

Brian and music

As family members, you always want some kind of sign from your lost loved one that they are OK and watching over you. Several times over the past 20 months we have heard some interesting music that, to us, could only come from Brian.

1. All of us went to New York City in June of 2008. The first night we went to one our favorite Spanish restaurants in Greenwich Village called El Faro for dinner. Right after we ordered, all of us clearly heard traditional Irish music playing in the background. We were quite surprised and asked a waiter how often they played Irish music. He said “never, we only play Spanish music”.

2. About a month ago, I had to go to Wal-Mart and brought Patrick with me. Naturally, he wanted to “look” (beg) at the toys. Patrick was drooling at the Bakugan Battle Brawlers. I told him he could have one for around $5. Naturally he wanted the $10 version. While I was just about to tell him “take it or leave it” I clearly heard “Amazing Grace” played by bagpipes over the store’s Muzak system.  Brian loved this version and it was played at the end of his funeral by a Cincinnati Police bagpiper. I asked Patrick if he heard it and he said yes. I smiled and thought of Brian imploring me to give in to his “favorite nephew” and let him get his desired toy. I immediately folded. Later, I talked to Susan about this and she pointed out how odd it was for a nonsectarian company like Wal-Mart to play an overtly religious song at 9:15 AM on a Saturday. Well, it was so odd I called Wal-Mart’s headquarters and asked them if that was on their play list. They told me to talk to the store’s management in Evendale. I called and asked the store manager if “Amazing Grace” was on his playlist. He said he did not know.

3. The McCormick family won the “American Family Insurance Family of the game” at Xavier University’s first pre-season game. Patrick and Caroline each got a stuffed blue blob and we all got tee shirts. We all waved on the jumbotron and got a tour inside the Cintas Center. While we were in the bowels of the Cintas Center under the stands the team came right past us. Patrick loved slapping palms with the players. My parents and I both remarked how Brian would have loved being there with us. At that moment, we heard “Over the Rainbow / What a Wonderful World" by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole. We initially heard this version at the end of “Finding Forrester” – a great flick that Brian loved and identified with. He also used this song as soundtrack to Caroline’s birth DVD. You have heard it. It is slow song played on a ukulele that makes you think. It is not the typical song heard prior to a college basketball game to fire up the fans. We have never heard it played at the Cintas Center (and have not heard it played there since).  Brian would love this video of the song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ltAGuuru7Q

Cynics would say these are amazing coincidences. I don’t care what they say. These songs and timing do not just happen at the exact moment that we would mean the most to us! Brian loved music and introduced me to the versions of these three songs. I have great comfort Brian is somewhere over the rainbow, listing to Irish music, and trying to figure out how to play “these damn bagpipes” (because you know he would not take lessons or read the instruction manual!) Thank you, Brian for these musical signs. They make us all smile.  I need more of them and miss you. Love, your brother.



No comments:

Post a Comment