12.24.2009

"This is my best Christmas present ever!"

Merry Christmas!

It is always tough this time of year for me and my family. We know in our bones that Brian should be here with us for Christmas. He lived to be with his family and  can’t help and remembering Brian going to mass at St. Charles, eating “duck dip” or egging on Joanna to drink more nasty “corn flavored” pop - and making her puke! (I had nothing to do with it). Brian greatly enjoyed having all the Gunnoe’s over for Christmas Eve, sleeping on my parent’s couch, and splurging on presents for his family.

As you know, Brian had tons of cool stuff. He was tough to shop for because if he liked something, he would buy it. He also would buy things even if he “kind of” liked it. I remember one year shopping for him on line. Somehow I came upon “Mexican Wrestling Masks.” Susan could not see the merit in this gift. I strongly disagreed and thought Brian would love it and probably wear it with pride. Naturally, I bought him a blue and white one because they are Xavier’s colors. Like sugar plums, I had visions of him sitting at the Cintas Center, drinking a beer and wearing it at a game.


I waited until all of our presents were exchanged to give him his gift. I say his eyes dance quickly through puzzlement, comprehension, and finally glee as he realized what I had got him. Brian smiled wickedly in eager anticipation and immediately proceeded to put the mask on his huge head. It barely fit. After he finally got it on he said this is my best Christmas present ever! Thank you! Man, are my friends going to be jealous.”


We both laughed loudly. Susan and my mom thought we were nuts. (They do not understand subtle humor!) I later found out how much fun he had wearing the wrestling mask FISHING at Adam’s bachelor party. Though I was not there to see him in all his glory, it is a great memory because I know he had a blast wearing the mask. Who knows where the mask is now? However, I will always treasure this memory of Brian and remember a gift that only brother’s could love.

Merry Christmas to all and especially Brian! I know you are with us! Love, Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment