10.28.2010

“Family is number one important thing in someone’s life”


Susan and I celebrate our 15th anniversary today. It does not feel like 15 years. In fact, it seems like we were married only a few years ago. It was an amazing day. Brian had mono, looked like crap, and ended up partying like a rock star till the wee morning hours. In fact, he went into Flanagan’s pub near UD in his tux and told all the Halloween partiers that he just got married and his wife was passed out in the limo. The chicks did not really like it that he was hitting on them so hard (considering they thought he just got married!) Funny, but ineffective dating strategy Brian!

When I reflect back on that wonderful day, I could not help but smile at the memory of Brian’s “Best Man” toast. As you can see from the video, Brian was a natural ham and enjoyed speaking in front of the crowd. You can also tell he completely made up his speech as he went along! Though Brian hardly ever prepared, I was amazed at his message and poise for a 20 year old in front of 300+ people. He spoke from his heart and warmly welcomed Susan into our family. He got the crowd to laugh by touting me as “one of his role models” and mentioned how much he looked up to me. Reflecting upon his speech 15 years later, I could not help but think “what would have Brian said had he prepared?” I know in my heart Brian would have reiterated the same message.

Family was everything to Brian. He loved us dearly and enjoyed spending time with us (until his cell phone rang, received a text or had to go someplace where he was a “VIP” and supermodels were present.) He would frequently hum when he was happy. I can vividly remember him humming during Christmas Eve with the Gunnoes, watching Xavier games, or at the Sunday dinner table eating tacos. I remember his laugh.  I remember his voice.  It is glorious to hear both again. 

His speech was pure Brian - made up, passionate, filled with humor, and left you knowing exactly how he felt. Anyone who knew Brian knows how much he loved his family.

I remember the day I told Brian I asked him to be my best man. We were in my parent’s basement and he was on the couch in his patented “recline and rest” position. I walked down the stairs, saw him lying there and asked him poetically “hey, will you be my best man?” Brian’s reaction was fantastic. I could tell his brain (in his huge head) was quickly registering what I asked him. He did not really react as he slowly got up off the couch, walked silently over to me and hugged me. Brian had tears in his eyes and hugged me tight. He said “I did not think you were going to ask me.” I said “No. You are my brother. Of course you were going to be my best man. I never considered anyone else.”

Brian was my best man 15 years ago. He still is and will always be.

1 comment:

  1. Matt your wedding festivities are some of the greatest memories of Brian. The paint ball trip was priceless.

    ReplyDelete