11.29.2010

Leslie Nielson, the Naked Gun and his laugh

















Leslie Nielsen passed away today. He appeared in some of the funniest movies of all time like Airplane and the Naked Gun trilogy. Brian and I loved these hilarious movies and his subtle, deadpan wit.

His passing brought me back to the premiere of the first Naked Gun movie. Brian and I were excited to watch it and had to sit near the front of the sold out theatre. We loved it and never laughed so hard in our lives! We got EVERY joke and laughed harder than anyone in the theatre. We were repeatedly told to “shut up” – but we could just not help ourselves. Brain and I were simultaneously laughing out loud (real loud), crying and stuffing massive amounts of pop corn into our mouths. We did not even have any beers!

The famous movie critic Roger Ebert called great films “parking lot movies.” Meaning, were you talked in the parking lot and reviewed the great moments of the flick you just watched. I doubt “The Naked Gun” is on Ebert’s best “parking lot movies” list. But, it sure is on ours! (This is what passes for Irish “culture!”)

I can hear Brian’s outlandish laugh in my mind. He is almost crying, than he sighs and says “oh my side hurts” and “Tito, get me a tissue.”

Many would be surprised to say Leslie Nielson was partly responsible for one of your life’s greatest memories. Those who know Brian and I are really not.

Thanks Leslie for making many of us laugh at loud and for helping me remember a great memory of Brian. It is great to hear his mischievous laugh once again. Think of him laughing when you watch the following:

No comments:

Post a Comment