3.29.2009

A birthday gift I will always remember

Today is my birthday. I am 39. Birthdays naturally make you review your past and look forward to the future with hope. A year ago about 20 people were at our house watching Xavier lose to UCLA. The game was not great but everyone enjoyed the food and drink. Brian was with us and he wore the yellow cashmere sweater he had on during the victory against West Virginia (Brian for some reason wore it to honor/make fun of Bob Huggins and his terrible yellow suit) because it had “good mojo” and brought victories. Brian was telling stories and having fun. I feel bad because I told him “shut the hell up and watch the game!” He also brought food from Andy’s Mediterranean Grill and was humming while eating it. He was having fun even though our Muskies were not. Towards the end of the game he and I were talking by the sink. Brian was right next to our coffee maker near our island and was, again, eating. I was a few feet away from him and all of a sudden he remembered it was my birthday. Brian – while chewing his food – said “hey I got your birthday present“ and pulled out his wallet. I told him “put it away” and “don’t worry about it.” I still remember the look on Brian’s face. It was part surprise, hurt, and determination all rolled into one. Finally, he smiled and insisted I take his $100. Then, he said “come here." He hugged me real hard and said “you are my brother and I will always love you.” That was the last time I ever saw Brian. Best birthday gift I could ever receive.

Love you and miss you terribly Brian.

No comments:

Post a Comment